Although I didn’t do any new gel pen drawings this summer, I did have a little time to play around with some collage techniques that are new to me. I found all the ingredients for these in the auction discards. Mostly I was trying the layering that other people do, smacking a piece of packing tape down and removing it, taking part of the image with it, then placing it on a background surface.
It occurred to me that using old book covers might make a good surface. If they’re not too large, they still cost less than $1 in postage to mail within the USA.
I’m working on getting the library mail art display set up at the moment, so I haven’t had any time to work on new cards recently. But I have photos of the ones I made this summer that have been mailed out already, so I’ll post them in between other things.
If you haven’t checked out the Library Mail Art blog, take a look. It documents the mail art we’ve received so far at Lackman Library which will be on display for the month of September. We’ll have the display up by the end of this week, and so far there are about 60 pieces. I’m quite excited about it!